Today I had a blast taking this photo. Used my new Lensbaby with a macro adapter, a flash unit, foam core, a black kitchen towel, an (almost) empty sauce jar, an oil dispenser (filled with water), a small cardboard box and bubbles, of course:
It looks like one of those lab experiments from college, doesn’t it? Lights comes out the flash unit, hits the foam core, which is angled downwards, and reflects toward the bubbles, that’s how the bubbles are lighted. To (unlight) block the light from hitting the black table near the bubbles, the black kitchen towel is somehow positioned on top of the cardboard box, which sits between the flash unit and the bubbles. Let follow the light path:
Tomorrow starts a new show in town. Irina Kruzhilina will present her paintings and some costume designs in her new exhibition Ball Masquerade, which can be seen at Evans Real Estate SOHO (110 Greene St, suite 9D, New York). I spent this evening photographing most of her paintings. Today’s photo of the day kind of shows the setup I used to get this paintings digitalized. I say “kind of” because we had to figure out a few tricks to get rid of the reflexions on the paintings that were proctected by glass. With the lack of polarizers for the strobes we had to resort to putting some black material between the camera and the paintings, which turned out to be a black trash bag with a hole for the lens (not shown in the photo). It was fun, and soon you will be able to see the paintings in her website.
I didn´t have a photo today, and time was running out. However I decided to get an try something harder than a simple snapshot. Took my two new mannequins (birthday presents, if you have to know), two of the hats that you might recognized from a recent photo of the day, and setup up a little studio home. I put cover one flash unit, set to the left of the first mannequin, with bubble wrap and some other white diffuser left over from some gift wrapping. Using the flash in manual mode I ajusted the power to get the right exposure. The light was getting there, but still needed to soften the shadows below the hat. I used the back white face of a calendar that was lying around. For the backgroun I hang a white sheet on the door.